Thursday, November 09, 2006

First Post

The purpose of this blog is to bring light to a subject that has remained in the dark for too long. While fornication is a terrible sin that touches millions of lives the focus of this book is to address how it has affected the black community in particular. For a generation the men in our community have chosen not to be under the authority of God and to lie down with any and everyone they choose. The result has been a generation of angry young men who have no respect for himself or anyone else for that matter. They routinely kill each other violently and sell poison to their parents. They are angry because when they needed a male parent there was no one there and the ones who were there were spiritually absent, through selfishness and negligence.

I realize that by writing this blog that I am opening myself up to those people who have political agendas on both sides of the spectrum. They will want to kill the messenger rather than hear the message. My whole life will be scrutinized. I will be accused of being everything from a tool of the "Right Wing" to an "Uncle Tom" and everything in between. Let me say first that I am no one. I have no degree in anything from anywhere. All I am is a broken man whom God has chosen to deliver a message. I seek no fame or glory for myself, only that the living God be glorified and honored. There will be those that say this is a private matter that does not need to be aired publicly. In light of the good will, being given for the recent hurricane Katrina catastrophe many will wonder about the timing. To that, I say, "Who can know the mind of God?"

Nevertheless, this issue has needed a public airing for sometime. No one will be able to impeach my being able to speak on this subject, but some will try. I am a twice-divorced black male, with three kids, a drug addicted alcoholic with a felony. God could not have picked a more unlikely messenger. I know that I will be ridiculed and derided. I have prayed that this burden be lifted from me, but no one can stop God's Divine Plan. I know from experience that if I do not do what God wills he will replace me. What I am going to write is not what someone told me, but what I have seen and know from experience. What God has revealed to me through my life and the lives of those close to me. I began discussing this issue with black men in Atlanta in the year 2001, getting their stories and insights. At the time I was working with a homeless mission that dealt primarily with the drug addicted, alcoholic men that had deserted their families and children. But as I began to research this subject with other men I realized that it wasn't just a drug and alcohol problem, but men who were working and not addicted to any particular substance were also deserting women and children. This thing has reached epidemic proportions and needs to be addressed.

If I accomplish nothing else, my hope is that we will at least begin the discussion. I hope that you who read this blog will do so with an open mind and believe that I write it out of love for all those angry children. They deserve better from all of us. Let us go forth and heal this people and this land. We serve a merciful God.

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness and their sins
and their lawless deeds I will remember no more"
Hebrews 8:12

If we turn to Him, he will be faithful and just to forgive us to forgive and cleanse us. I hope you are able to see past the messenger to the message. After all, isn't that what is truly important? If my words are true then let them stand, if they be false then let them fall. For the truth stands by itself and supports itself.

"You will know the truth and the truth shall make you free."
John 8:32

It is my hope that someone may read these words and turn from their sinful ways. That someone may decide to break the cycle that has enslaved us for so many years.

"Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns
him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his
way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins."
James 5:19-20

I look forward to comments as we move forward with this discussion. I believe it is one of the most serious issues we face as a nation and as a people. I will be posting excerpts from a book that I have written and hope to get published soon. Thank you for reading and participating. I hope we can begin the dialog that will heal our people.

3 comments:

Alicia C. Henderson said...

Wow this has been a snag in my christian walk for years and I always get caught up in the snare. This blog was very timely with the state of the Nation. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Nappily Evah Aftah said...

Rod,

I got your back — in prayer. I'm encouraged by your boldness. Keep pressin' and don't get discouraged.

All those who desire to live for God, and are actually courageous enough to live out their faith (no "closet Christianity")are going to catch hell. But no weapon formed against us will prosper.

Carry on..in Jesus' name :)

mmog37 said...

I look forward to what you have to say...I haven't touched the big "F" in my bloggings yet...but it is long overdue...I pray that our pulpits begin to deal with the issue as it is becoming an even larger problem within the church and christian community...as far as you being the messenger...I have found that it is the broken people who have a heart and the compassion to bear the ridicule and scrutiny to save others from making the same mistakes...so take a deep breath...and get to bloggin =)

 

Web Site Counter
Online Discount Shopping